Tuesday, February 24, 2009

An IT company regularly employs disabled persons

Parthasarathy, the project manager of the hospital management systems, is the senior-most employee. “Our MD believes that people with physical disabilities are equally skilled. While many frowned at my disability, he gave me a job. I feel disabled are better suited to the IT field; we have proved it here,” he says. Aravind, who has Suresh Kamath National Awardcompleted his BA (English), was born blind. “I wanted to work in the IT sector, so I applied for a job here and was immediately recruited and trained in computer operations. Since I am blind, I work with the help of a software called JAWS,” says Aravind.

Kamath, winner of the best employer award from the Government of India, told TSI that disabled employees are more productive than their ‘normal’ counterparts in the IT field. “We keep in constant touch with an NGO that works for the disabled in this regard.” And how is LSIS coping with recession? “We use innovative methods, our products are cost effective. As we work in the Indian market, the global meltdown hasn’t affected us much.”....Continue