Friday, December 08, 2006

Sony Ericsson

BRAND : Sony Ericsson
AGENCY : Dentsu Marcom
BASELINE : I love music

DESCRIPTION: You’d come across people telling themselves while listening to their Sony Ericsson Walkman saying, ‘I love rain’, ‘I love my long commute’, ‘I love the company’, ‘I love shopping’, ‘I love being the substitute’, ‘I love losing myself’. Finally we see a man walking and carrying his handset with a caption saying, ‘I love missing the last bus home.’

4Ps TAKE: The first glance would pass the ad for an international one, but a closer look makes it clear that it was conceptualised to target the Indian market and beat all competition from players like Nokia and Motorola. The Sony Eriksson handset surely is at an advantage for being born from Sony’s stable, with an attempt to leverage the famous Walkman feature. But despite its attempt to add colour & music in the life of Indians, it fails badly! Far from being full of josh, it proves a drab. Certainly, Sony can do better than this... but when?